About Us
Program Services
Community Outreach
Self-Help Materials


Tenant's Defending a Lawsuit in
District Magistrate Court

Questions and Answers
Defending An Action in Magisterial District Court

In Pennsylvania, a landlord who wants to evict a tenant, who has not moved in response to the landlord’s eviction notice, must file a lawsuit at the Magisterial District Judge called a Landlord/Tenant Complaint. The Complaint, and a notice scheduling a hearing on the Complaint, will be given to the tenant by a constable or sheriff’s deputy in person or by posting on the tenant's door. A copy of the Landlord/Tenant Complaint will also be sent to the tenant by regular mail.

To read more on this topic, see link below:

Download Our Packet for More Information